Translate

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Snow Day Musings of a Student Mentor

Sitting here, staring out of my kitchen window, blackbirds scrabbling in the snow searching for worms, seeds, bread, whatever they can find in my garden, I realise I haven't blogged in an age! I think its because for a while I felt quite distant from it all... all the mentoring stuff I mean. 
I would see emails or the occasional post on Facebook about events, social gatherings etc and for one reason or another I may not have been able to make it... I was in a lecture, I don't live on campus or even in Newport... or maybe I just wanted to be with my family instead of being out and getting pissed! Excuses or reasons... you decide!
Anyway, this started to make me feel like I wasn't actually doing anything proactive regards my role as a Student Mentor, I even had a breakdown moment where I completely hijacked a meeting about a potential new project and completely out-poured some pretty deep secrets and insecurities (Kerry, I'm forever in your debt)! 
My point is, I was wrong (again). I am proactive as a mentor, I only have to look at my phone or my inbox to see evidence of this. People trust me, they talk to me, they value what I have to say. I'm often pulled to one side for a quiet chat or sent a text or an email minutes after I've just been sat in the same room as that person. I listen, I reassure, I point in the right direction. I never judge, influence or give instructions (at least, I'm not aware that I do) and I never break a confidence. 
This is what I wanted from the mentoring scheme, I wanted to be of use to people, I never wanted to be an in-your-face kind of mentor (despite the current red hair). I don't want to be a nag or there every time you turn a corner, I reach out to people, yes, and I follow up with issues I've been made aware of. I just wanted to there when I was needed and I think I may have achieved that balance. 

Happy snow day everyone :)


No comments:

Post a Comment